As a kid I didn’t branch out in the food world nearly enough. I ate a whole lot of hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, and of course mac n cheese. I’ve shared some of my favorite ways to eat pasta before. I also shared a summertime favorite, Zucchini squash mac n cheese , but today I’m sharing a healthy twist on traditional mac n cheese.
Here are a few slight tweaks that have been made as compared to making traditional mac n cheese:
- Trade regular pasta for quinoa pasta (I used Ancient Harvest Elbow Pasta)
- Trade butter for coconut oil
- Trade dairy milk for almond milk (I used Califia Farms almond milk)
This recipe only has a few simple ingredients, five to be exact (plus salt and pepper), so it’s super easy! It takes about the same amount of time as it takes you to whip up that pre-packaged mac n cheese, except without all the processed ingredients and the taste is so much better.
MAC N CHEESE (WITH QUINOA PASTA & ALMOND MILK) RECIPE
- 1 8oz. packaged of cooked quinoa pasta
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons white unbleached flour (use gluten-free flour if GF)
- 1 cup unsweetened or vanilla almond milk (we like it both ways) *Vanilla will make it sweeter
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese (I’ve used gouda and sharp cheddar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa pasta according to package (do not overcook pasta)
- In a large saucepan melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and continue to whisk until it darkens (do not let it burn)
- Turn heat to low and slowly stir in milk. Turn heat back to medium and whisk until mixture thickens and there are no lumps. Should take 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in grated cheese and continue to stir until it’s melted.
- Stir in cooked quinoa pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste.