Happy 2016! My goal (not resolution because I never make those and I definitely could never stick to them) for 2016 is to make time to rest and enjoy life. I am one of those people that simply doesn’t know how to “rest.” If I’m home I’ve got a project going on. Usually I’m reorganizing something, painting something, or making some sort of list. I’m the ultimate list maker. This week I finally got back in the kitchen to make this easy, but tasty dish!
I’m not going to lie and act like I’ve been cooking away for the past month. In all actuality I’ve been working weird hours and eating an abundance of Chipotle. I’m completely addicted to Chipotle and their guacamole (I could eat buckets of that stuff!). I’ve been wanting to make some homemade pasta again for a while now. Remember when I shared my recipe for easy homemade whole wheat pasta WITHOUT a fancy pasta maker. Once you make homemade pasta you won’t want to go back to store bought (trust me).
For this recipe I wanted to incorporate some of our favorites: almond milk, cheese, and broccoli.
To get the recipe for homemade whole wheat pasta check out my post here.
HOMEMADE PASTA WITH BROCCOLI CHEESE SAUCE
- Homemade Pasta ( or 12 ounces of pasta of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk (or another kind of milk)
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3½ cups steamed broccoli
- salt and pepper to taste
- While your pasta is cooking start preparing sauce. Also, you will want to steam your broccoli which will be added at the end of your sauce.
- For sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for approximately one minute.
- Whisk in flour and saute for an additional minute, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add in vegetable broth and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in milk and turn heat to low. Let the mixture cook for an additional minute and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- At this point you will want to drain your pasta and set it aside in a bowl.
- Once the cheese has melted in your sauce you can stir in steamed broccoli.
- Pour broccoli cheese sauce over pasta and serve immediately.