Oh chocolate why must you be SO good? For real though, I am a chocolate addict. Thankfully there are products out there to help make sweets a wee bit healthier for those of us who feel as if we could live solely on dessert. These “faux Reese’s cups” as I like to call them are made a bit healthier by using dairy-free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life is my favorite brand!), almond milk, and almond butter + medjool date filling.
Last night I attended my first blogger potluck with two fellow Nashville bloggers, Mary & Brita. Mary hosted us in her gorgeous East Nashville home where she cooked up Slow-Cooker Chick Pea Curry(a-ma-zing!) and Brita and I brought the dessert. Brita brought some insanely delicious truffles to satisfy my sweet tooth even more.
I could lie and tell you how ridiculously hard these were to make and that I slaved away for hours to get them perfect, but they were quite the opposite. After soaking your dates in warm water for about 45 minutes the rest is a breeze. These bad boys stay in the freezer and are just as good the next day (I may or may not have eaten one for breakfast).
I’m thinking I will double this recipe for the holidays because I’m sure they will go fast!
SEA SALT CARAMEL CHOCOLATE CUPS
- 18 medjool dates, pitted (bought mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 3 tablespoons almond butter (or other nut butter of your choice)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups mini semi- sweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life dairy-free chips)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Remove pits from dates and soak them for 45 minutes in warm water (this softens them and makes them easier to blend in the food processor)
- After dates have been soaked, drain them and place them in a food processor
- Blend together dates, almond butter, and sea salt until smooth (add water if mixture seems too dry)
- Set date mixture to the side
- Using a double broiler heat chocolate chips and almond milk until melted.
- Pour half of the chocolate mixture into parchment muffin cups (9 cups) covering the bottom of the cups.
- Place muffin cups in the freezer for five minutes (until chocolate is firm)
- Remove muffin cups from the freezer and scoop in date mixture (caramel) into each chocolate cup
- Finish each cup off with more chocolate and freezer for at least 3 hours.