So I have a few confessions before I dive into these Vegan Blueberry Banana Pancakes.
Confession 1: pancakes are one of my favorite foods (along with popcorn, all cheeses, and dark chocolate.)
Confession 2: I am the WORST pancake flipper of all time (I once flipped several of my pancakes on the floor- true story.)
Confession 3: I used to hate when food bloggers claimed their recipe was “THE BEST….” Well today, I’m claiming that these are THE BEST Vegan Blueberry Banana Pancakes and I’ve had a lot of pancakes in my day. So why are these THE BEST? They are filling, they are moist (I hate that word, but it’s necessary here), and they are sweet (without refined sugar.)
I decided to coconut oil as a butter replacement for the first time in my pancakes, and I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed with my in laws this past weekend and we ended up with a TON of blueberries. Let’s just say I’m going to have to get creative with blueberry recipes because there is only so many different kinds of smoothies and pies I can make that incorporate blueberries.
I honestly never dreamed a Vegan pancake could be so delicious. No eggs, no refined sugar, and no dairy, but dang these are good.
Last confession, I sing “Banana Pancakes” by Jack Johnson pretty much anytime I make banana pancakes.
VEGAN BLUEBERRY BANANA PANCAKES RECIPE
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- maple syrup for topping
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons warm water and set aside until gel-like (flax egg)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Stir in maple syrup, flax egg, almond milk, coconut oil.
- Fold in mashed banana and blueberries and stir until blended well, but do not over mix.
- Heat a non-stick griddle over medium-high heat.
- Scoop batter with ice cream scoop onto griddle. Allow pancakes to cook until browned on one side and flip.
- Serve warm pancakes with maple syrup.