Before I dive right in to this new dinner favorite I have to talk about our past week. So, last week was CRAZY busy for us. I recently moved into my new home and am now in the process of making it my own by ripping out the carpet in the basement (which I just about finished) and then putting in a floating floor (the tiles are actually in pretty decent condition that were under the carpet but just not quite my style). I’ve also been doing some furniture shopping with my wife as moving in from a 1-bedroom NYC to a 4-bedroom house means lots of empty rooms. Finally, I’ve been working on getting our baby room setup which included doing a paint job. Yay!
Ok, Ok… enough about me and onto this super addicting new dish that we have added to our favorite dinners. It features one of my favorite things to cook with, quinoa!
What I love about this recipe is that you can totally make it your own. You could definitely add your own favorite vegetables, or use ground meat if you are not vegetarian. Personally, I love to use Beyond Meat crumbles as they are AWESOME as a meat substitute even for people who like to eat meat. I’ve used their crumbles in multiple recipes and I doubt that people would notice. Oh and their product contains no soy for those that are looking to avoid it. Anyway, this really is the perfect dish for anyone. It also tastes just as good (if not better) the next day for leftovers since the flavors really amalgamate.
VEGETABLE QUINOA SKILLET RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 12 oz. package meatless vegetable crumbles (as mentioned I personally love to use Beyond Meat for this)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook meatless vegetable crumbles of your choice or ground meat of your choice and keep warm until added to skillet with other ingredients.
- In a separate skillet on medium heat add olive oil to coat and add in sweet potato, onion, peppers, garlic, and mushrooms. Cover and cook for approximately 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add uncooked quinoa and pour in vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or until quinoa has cooked completely.
- Stir in cooked meatless vegetable crumbles.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.