Autumn is in full swing – one week away from Halloween and one month away from Thanksgiving making it an ideal time to start playing around with different recipes.
I was at the local Farmer’s Market to stock up on some fresh fruits and vegetables for a few pies that I wanted to try making when I came across some delicious looking squash and zucchini. While I had no plans to use them for any of my pies, I did have a craving for mac & cheese which has ALWAYS been my favorite food. I even loved it when I ate the neon orange colored mac that was made of weird powdery cheese.
Anyway, I decided that I could use the zucchini and squash win my mac and cheese for something a bit different. I also used gouda and parmesan, which are two of my favorite cheese, but feel free to swap out and use two of your favorites.
I’ve fallen in love with Quinoa pasta and it FOR REAL tastes like pasta, not a crappy imitation. It’s legit! The breadcrumb topping is also available in a gluten-free option.
So, if you’re still eating neon mac n’ cheese I’m not judging you because it gets the best of us sometimes, but I promise once you try this homemade healthier version you won’t go back! I hope you enjoy this zucchini squash mac and cheese as much as I do!
ZUCCHINI SQUASH MAC AND CHEESE (GLUTEN-FREE)
- 1 8oz. box quinoa pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup gouda cheese
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 medium squash, sliced and quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package.
- While pasta is cooking slice zucchini and squash and place in bowl.
- Coat zucchini and squash with olive oil and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place vegetables in a skillet on medium heat and cook for approximately 5 minutes (until somewhat softened).
- While vegetables are cooking drain pasta and place back in large pot at medium heat.
- Stir in Greek yogurt, cheeses, and salt and pepper (to taste) with pasta.
- Stir pasta mixture and add in 1/2 cup water to thin out sauce a bit. Let cook at medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine pasta mixture and vegetable mixture together into a casserole dish.
- Top with “toppings” (1/4 cup parmesan + 1/4 cup gouda + 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs)
- Cook uncovered at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until slightly browned on top.